Skip to main content

Featured

Past and Peace

  It was the closure I never knew I needed, it came in a dream, and I woke up with the vividness still lingering in my mind. All the hurt deeply rooted in the unspoken pain I ignored for years was given a much-welcomed atonement. He came to me in a dream, we were both surprised to see each other, and I felt the emotions I once felt for him; the moment I saw him from afar; my heart raced with excitement and gladness, a moment where I thought I belonged to someone, I am his, he was mine, and everything around us went a blur. I would like to believe that the dream is the unspoken apology- my heart sought healing for a while until it numbed from waiting until I forgot that there was a wound that scarred my capacity to open myself to anyone again.   In that dream, the flashback came like a flood seeping through every crevice of the past we once shared; his smile brightened up the room, and I was reminded of how much I know him- and how much I don’t, and how much I wished everything didn’t e

Bali, Indonesia



Every journey is a pilgrimage, an awakening and a discovery of an untapped courage hidden beneath the comfort zone.

GARUDA WISNU KENCANA CULTURAL PARK, BALI, INDONESIA

I have little expectations from my trip to Bali and as a matter of fact, I just wanted to get over with it because I just came from a beach outing with my best friend and I still feel exhausted. It didn’t help that the flight is at dawn and the tour will start right about when we land.  But everything turned out differently, I am grateful that I have my best friend with me because there were challenges that I don’t think I could have conquered without him by my side. 

I felt my brain dozing off at around 3 am while waiting for the cabin crew to let us in, so everything that happened right after I have seated at 5F was a blur. I didn’t bother watching the emergency demo but  I can remember hearing that there were vests under our seats. When I opened my eyes, I looked at the window and saw nothing but fog, we’re an hour away from our destination, the plane was silent but I can hear some people murmuring and the cabin crews chatting. There were a few tolerable turbulence but I wasn’t perplexed. In front of me was a blue immigration form tucked in the foldable table. The gap between my seat and parallel to mine was enough for me to stretch a little. I took my red velvet travel pillow and played it around my neck to find a comfortable place.  As the fog clears away, blue, teal and orange started painting the horizon.

Hello Bali.
ULUWATU TEMPLE, BALI, INDONESIA
We were greeted by a long line at the immigration, it took about an hour just to have our passport stamped, Ketut Kurdana, our travel guide and tour driver was already waiting outside to pick us up.

Our check-in time at the hotel was not until 2 pm so Ketut said that we can go directly to Kuta to start our tour. We went ahead to  Garuda Wisnu Kenacana Cultural Temple where the largest statue of Wisnu was still being built. We didn’t stay that long there because we’ve already missed the opening ceremony. On our way to the hotel, we went to this beautiful place called Uluwatu where monkeys can freely roam around and greet people, we were warned that these monkeys grab sunglasses and bags so we have to take care of our belongings ( Loi's rayban was snatched by a monkey!).

 After a stroll inside Uluwatu, we ate at a nearby eatery where we were ripped off because the food was too expensive for just an omelette, but since we weren’t aware yet of how much we should pay for our food, we just let it slip and went to a beach called Padang- padang before we arrived at the hotel





PADANG PADANG BEACH, BALI, INDONESIA


CHECK IN...

MAIN POOL OF THE HARRIS HOTEL ( I HAD THE POOL ALL FOR MYSELF)

Harris hotel is a quaint and beautiful hotel, atypical from the Bali inns because of its modern aesthetics. It has three swimming pools, a lounge, a restaurant and a gym.

We settled in our room, it’s very vibrant and orange, the bed was soft and comfortable, the aircon was cool, the bathroom had free towels and toiletries, hot and cold water both in the shower and in the faucet and there was a bidet in the toilet.

After freshening up, Ketut picked us up from the hotel and drove us to the nearby beach called Kudeta in Seminyak. The sun set quickly so we went back to the hotel right after we strolled a little. We savored our first day at the hotel and enjoyed a hot cup of coffee. For dinner, we went out and lurked around the nearby restaurants and found this small place where they would cook the food just right after you order. We ate plenty because the food was affordable and delicious.

KUDETA, SEMINYAK, BALI, INDONESIA


DAY 2

The next day, Ketut picked us up at around 8:00 am and drove us to Uma pakel where the big swing and bird nests were located. When we arrived, Maria, a tour guide from the place gave us a few introductions and showed us how their coffee was being harvested. The luwak coffee, their specialty, actually comes from the meerkat's dung. Its taste depends on the cat’s food intake. It wasn’t really my cup of tea because I tasted some degree of sourness that reminded me of apple cider.


LUWAK COFFEE FROM UMA PAKEL, BALI INDONESIA


We took our picture at the popular bird’s nest and swings then we bought a few packs of tea.  For lunch, Ketut brought us to this buffet with an overlooking view of the active volcano, the food selections were not plenty but the view was captivating enough to compensate for it.


Me and my best friend, Loi,  trying the Luwak coffee
Beef satay, spring rolls, fried spinach, sweet and sour chicken, mixed vegetables and onion rings for lunch

At around 3 pm, we drove to the Titra Empul Holy Water Temple where people can take a bath from the spring water. The place was a jungle covered with different statues of their gods. We bought some souvenirs where I haggled like my mother haha

TITRA EMPUL TEMPLE, BALI, INDONESIA 


We asked Ketut if we can hurry to the falls before it closes, he drove swiftly and we arrived at exactly 6 pm, we trekked as fast as we could and we reached the falls just in time before it was so dark to take a picture. By 6:30 we drove back to the hotel and called it a day.

TEGENUNGAN WATERFALLS, DENPASAR, BALI, INDONESIA

DAY 3

ANGEL'S BILLABONG, NUSA PENIDA, INDONESIA
We woke up by 5 am to prepare and we went down to meet Ketut at exactly 6:30 am. He drove us to the warf going to an island called Nusa Penida then after a 45-minute boat ride, we were greeted by Komang, our driver at the island. He drove us to our first destination which is about an hour to reach, the cliff was called Angel’s Billabong, Komang said that it was called Billabong because of the rock formation that nestles the part of the cliff where the water stays.
 
CLIFF OF THE ANGEL'S BILLABONG

Not so far away was the broken beach, this part seemed to be separated by a huge rock that mimics a giant bridge. I asked a local there if we can swim on the water but he said that we need to rent jet ski

BROKEN BEACH, NUSA PENIDA, INDONESIA
The most challenging part of the trip is the Kelingking beach. The view from the top was spectacular enough but the beach at the bottom was so inviting that we just had to go there. The trail going down the beach is a herculean task that requires patience, persistence and all the mighty virtues. If I were not caught by its beauty, I wouldn't even dare to go down. 





VIEW OF THE KELINGKING BEACH, NUSA PENIDA, INDONESIA
After an hour of dangerous trekking, we were able to reach the pit of the beach, to be fair, it was all worth it, well, until I had to go back up and really just YOLOed everything.


AT THE KELINGKING BEACH, NUSA PENIDA, INDONESIA    

As we climbed back to the top of the Kelingking beach, I almost passed out and lost my breath because the air was so thin and the gravity really fought back, I never thought I can go back to the top, but I did, it felt like a great achievement. 




Day 4

 Even with my whole body aching, I forced myself to get dressed because it's time to go home. Ketut drove us to the airport then we took a selfie, we thanked him for his hospitality and then we parted ways.
Me, Ketut and Loi at the airport

At around 1 pm, we were back at Manila, tanned, tired, yet grateful for a safe flight. before we head home, Loi and I took on one last adventure, a Jollibee buffet! 

My Bali experience was definitely one for the books. My prayer is that there will be more and more and more travels with my friends, family and hopefully with someone special soon!

Till next Hello!
_______________________________________________

Ketut Kurdana is our tour guide and our travel driver, he is very punctual and accommodating, he will tell you where to buy the affordable souvenirs, best food, and eateries, and he won't rip you off. Of all the guides we had, he is the best. if you want to contact him, just add him on facebook.  The Klook rate for a tour service (without the airport pickup) is 1600 for 8 hours and 500 per succeeding hour, Ketut Kurdana picked us up from the airport and toured us for more than 13 hours for only 650,000 idr (2400 pesos) * we gave him extra 100,000 idr because our pick up point is way farther than the usual tour pick up, so if you're from Kuta, he'll only charge you 550,000 idr

x

Comments

Popular Posts