Skip to main content

Featured

Past and Peace

  It was the closure I never knew I needed, it came in a dream, and I woke up with the vividness still lingering in my mind. All the hurt deeply rooted in the unspoken pain I ignored for years was given a much-welcomed atonement. He came to me in a dream, we were both surprised to see each other, and I felt the emotions I once felt for him; the moment I saw him from afar; my heart raced with excitement and gladness, a moment where I thought I belonged to someone, I am his, he was mine, and everything around us went a blur. I would like to believe that the dream is the unspoken apology- my heart sought healing for a while until it numbed from waiting until I forgot that there was a wound that scarred my capacity to open myself to anyone again.   In that dream, the flashback came like a flood seeping through every crevice of the past we once shared; his smile brightened up the room, and I was reminded of how much I know him- and how much I don’t, and how much I wished everything didn’t e

Seventh of Many: Let it Find You

I lost my watch in Singapore. I was staying at a capsule hotel in Aljunied, and I forgot to wear it when I went to Sentosa. By the time I was heading to the airport going home, I felt this emptiness on my wrist. It’s as if there should be something wrapped around it, until it dawned on me that I don’t have my watch- this piece of Timex gifted to me by my dad for my 28th birthday. I went back to the hotel and asked the receptionist if anyone had seen or returned a watch. Still, she just shrugged her head, clueless of what was missing- or how important it was for me to have it back. Knowing that Singapore is a very safe place, I didn’t suspect anyone to take it, for sure they can probably afford a better watch than that. Still, there is this sentimental value in it that makes it priceless. But I was running out of time, I have to go to the airport or else I’ll miss my flight, so I hopped on the train and went to Changi airport, charging the loss to my experience.

Fast forward three months. I was decluttering my travel toiletries and replenishing the bottles of shampoo, body wash, almost empty deodorant and a half-filled bottle of hair gel when I felt this round shape glass inside the pocket of the toiletry bag. It was my watch.

I’m pretty sure I looked inside out for my watch everywhere. I rearranged my luggage trice, and I’m pretty sure I was so thorough when I searched inside that toiletry bag before I finally gave up. But hey, who am I to question a grace?

It was there all along.

So what is the lesson here? Well, nothing really, except perhaps I was too clumsy and untidy with my stuff. Maybe I was too busy searching for something that found its comfortable place. Maybe, when we did our best to search for what we lost or when we try to find meaning in everything that leaves, and still to no avail, the best thing we can do is to charge the loss to experience then move on, because whatever is destined for us will come to us, or in my case, will come back.

If that can happen to my watch, I can’t help but imagine all the greater possibilities if I let the universe work its magic, that whatever I am destined to have will come to me, or come back to me when my heart is ready, even love, especially love. For the moment, perhaps the best thing to do is to continue living my life to the fullest, with experiences to behold and with the certainty that everything will be fine, and like what my beautiful friend, jane, told me, Let it find you.

Comments

Popular Posts