Skip to main content

Featured

Past and Peace

  It was the closure I never knew I needed, it came in a dream, and I woke up with the vividness still lingering in my mind. All the hurt deeply rooted in the unspoken pain I ignored for years was given a much-welcomed atonement. He came to me in a dream, we were both surprised to see each other, and I felt the emotions I once felt for him; the moment I saw him from afar; my heart raced with excitement and gladness, a moment where I thought I belonged to someone, I am his, he was mine, and everything around us went a blur. I would like to believe that the dream is the unspoken apology- my heart sought healing for a while until it numbed from waiting until I forgot that there was a wound that scarred my capacity to open myself to anyone again.   In that dream, the flashback came like a flood seeping through every crevice of the past we once shared; his smile brightened up the room, and I was reminded of how much I know him- and how much I don’t, and how much I wished everything didn’t e

My Plant Collection


Right even before the lockdown, I’ve been fascinated with plants but I never really embraced them as much as I do now because on those days, I was busy hustling around going to work and spending most of my time inside the classroom or at the faculty, but ever since the lockdown, I found my love for plants once more- a love that started with my pharmacognosy subject way back in college where we were asked to memorize thousands of scientific names of plants we have never really encountered. 

 

My mom is an avid fan of plants but her love for this nature’s gift is like some of the fruits and flowers- seasonal, but ever since I started collecting plants, her passion for them was revived, so, oftentimes when she visits our home in the province, she would bring home a few plants whenever she and my dad passes by Guiguinto.

 

Five months since the lockdown, I’ve had over a hundred pots of plants gifted to me by my titas, by my mom and by my grandmother; some have grown new buds and some I repotted because they grow fast.  

 

I’ve listed the top ten plants that I really love.  All of them are really easy to take care of, and especially now in the rainy season, I just let the sky water them most of the time. I often put them in my room but I interchange their stay in my room from time to time, because of the abundance in my mini collection, I  can fit around six to seven plants in my room to make it feel cozy and relaxing.

                                                 

These plants are the actual pictures of what I have, I tried selling some of them, but it pains my heart everytime someone wants to adopt one of my babies, so I decided to just keep them for myself.

 

 

 

1.    Aglaonema costatum

Common name: Chinese evergreen



    This type of Chinese evergreen has a hardy leaf and looks like the fake ones you can buy at the mall. From my experience, it grew better when I placed it on indirect sunlight. I like that it grows individual leaves so it doesn’t take too much space because it’s small.

 

2.    Aglaonema commutatum

Common name: Chinese evergreen “Silver queen”



This is another type of chinese evergreen with a soft petiole and a unique silver pattern that radiates from the middle. I love the variegation of this plant because some variety have the reverse pattern.

 

3.    Sansevieria mansoniana

Common name: Whale fin snake plant



This plant is so easy to take care of. I hardly water it and I keep it in my room most of the time. I find that this plant is good for a minimalist display and that it can fit any surface well.

 

4.    Aglaonemaspecies

Common name: Neon aglaonema



This plant has very bright and neon leaves that stand out when placed together with other plants. I mostly place this plant in the middle of different plants so it can create this separation of colors among the hue of green.

 

5.    Monstera adansonii

Common name: Swiss Chinese plant


 

The leaf of this plant has five holes which makes it super interesting. This vining plant is easy to propagate and grow, it likes indirect sunlight and moist soil. I was able to propagate my monstera a few times from a single cutting given to me by my aunt.

 

6.    Dischidia oiantha

Common name: Manaog ka irog

 

This plant is native to the Philippines. I love how it grows like a necklace and it drops like a garland. The leaves are succulents and the stems are hardy so it’s easy to take care of. 

 

7.    Maranta arundinacea

Common name: Arrowroot



I really admire the watercoloresque green variegation of this plant’s leaves especially up close which makes it so good for display. Its risome is used to make the famous Uraro.

 

8.    Epipremnum aureum

Common name: Devil’s ivy



This is one of the easiest to take care of. It grows fast so it’s a good display especially on high surfaces or even for hanging.

 

9.    Sansevieria cylindrical

Common name: African Spear plant



 

This plant is so unique and I am totally amazed the first time I saw it. I asked my sister to give me a cutting but she gave me the whole pot. It grows one finger at a time so it takes a while before it propagates.

 

10. Zamioculcas zamiifolia

Common name: ZZ plant


 

This is one of the easiest to take care of- it is almost impossible to kill. It adapts to any surface and light availability plus it doesn’t need to be watered all the time. I’ve had very good luck with this plant because I’ve been propagating this like crazy. It’s also good for display and it purifies the air well


RUNNERS UP:


1.    Philidendron bipinnatifidum

Common name: Selloum


 

I really love this plant except that it is really tricky to acclimatize. I bought this with plenty of green leaves but some began to wither just after I placed it in my room, so I had to prune them and place the pot outside for sunlight.  Maganda pero maarte  is a way to describe it.

 

2.    Plectranthus scutellarioides

Common name: Coleus



This plant has nice green and purple hues. It grows easily on indirect sunlight and plenty of water so I let it stay outdoors. It’s also easy to propagate, just simply snip off a few inches and repot the cutting.

 

3.    Pachira glabra

Common name: Money tree


I love the pattern of how its leaves grow but my problem with this plant is that it grows too tall for me to keep inside my room. It thrives best under indirect sunlight and plenty of water with good drainage. 


 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts